Saturday, November 8, 2008

OMG, I AM a Disney Princess!

So I wanted to take Monday off and have a four day weekend. This didn't work for three reasons:

1) My boss told me I could take the day off as long as I was caught up with my work. At 8:00 in the morning, it was no problem. But then she and all my other bosses piled on extra little tasks. I felt like freaking Cinderella, being told I could go to the ball, as long as I had my work done... and then finding my list of chores growing exponentially until it would be impossible for me to go to the ball... or take Monday off. But despite the fact that I do not have a fairy godmother or very productive and vocally talented mice, I was able to get my work done by 5:00 - but it did involve me working through my lunch and breaks.

2) Also during the "Well, you can have the day off IF" speech, I was informed that due the holiday Tuesday, I'd have to be on the phones for at least part of the day on Wednesday. So, it's possible that I won't get to my own work until Thursday. If I don't work Monday... that'll be a lot of work. And I knew I would spend my whole weekend obsessing over it.

3) I've been told all the bosses are going to be working on a project Monday and will be so busy, they might not have time to annoy me with little tasks they don't have time to do because they're so busy doing nothing. I might actually have a productive day!


However, despite my concerns that my 4-day weekend would be somewhat spoiled with concerns that I'd get stuck working 3 hours of overtime Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I probably should have done it anyway. Now I've spent the whole weekend bummed that I have to go to work Monday.

On a related note, my boss told me she also wants to put me on the phone Monday, December 1st. It's the Monday after Thanksgiving, and also the first day we'll be using a new program to view customer accounts. Our company historically screws up whenever we have a new anything, so there is a 99.9% chance this will be a craptastic day (and a 92% chance the whole week will be a nightmare). However, it was pointed out to me by the person who knows better than anyone that if I give her 7 day's notice, she cannot deny me that day off. Considering how bad that day will be and the fact that I'm not getting my 4 day weekend... I'm going for a 5 day weekend.

Oh, and a little update to my previous post... no gifts. Nobody has even asked if I am registered. And no checks! I'm waiting for my grandmother to ask me about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those kinds of posts really scares me about the real world. I mean, I'm in college and years from now, I'll be working, too and maybe complaining about my bosses, too but nevertheless, 'twas really a nice post. I felt your feeling while reading. :)

Mister Cranky said...

Your the prettiest of the Princesses!